[DeTomaso] Wilwood Squeal

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Nov 4 17:00:49 EST 2009

In a message dated 11/4/09 11:07:36 AM, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:

> I have BP20 and I chamferred the edges and still got a squeal. I'm going
> to try the shims.

Biggest problem I see with using anti-vibration shims or paints on Wilwood
calipers is, the open end of each piston that contacts the pad backing is
very thin- for weight reduction, these being racing calipers- so under hard
braking, I'd expect the piston edge to simply cut thru any sort of soft shim
in short order. Stock calipers tend to use pistons with much thicker
contact-flanges, and on such assemblies, shims or paints might have longer lives.
Wilwood calipers normally include any of two different compound pads;
rather than fiddling, I'd suggest cutting right to the chase and buying
non-squealing R-4s pads from Porterfield. Incidently, the noise is not distasteful to
me; its mostly that on our Pantera with Wilwood Superlite 2s in front,
Porterfield R-4s pads work better street and track than "stock" pads included
with my Wilwoods. So much so that I added Porterfield pads in the same
compound to our Porsche/ATS rear calipers. FWIW- J Deryke (still getting caught up
with 845 messages.....)