[DeTomaso] Electric oil pump?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Nov 4 16:37:10 EST 2009

In a message dated 11/4/09 12:10:01 AM, Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se writes:

> With all the talk about the benefits of electrical water pumps, what
> about the oil pump? I've read somewhere that new, energy efficient engines will
> use electrical oil pumps to reduce engine drag.

It would be easy to hook up to a 351C block casting. Last year when I
started a special 351-Cleveland oil pump project, I looked into the power loss.
>From everything I could find, a gearotor oil pump such as Fords use pulls
about 1 bhp at engine speeds up to 6000 rpms, and less as rpms are slower. So
there's about 1/3 the power drag from the oil pump as from the water pump.
The horrible consequenses of a failed oil pump relative to a failed water pump
will keep me (and almost all motorheads) from switching until a major
factory or some brave soul like yourself does it successfully, for 5 or so years
trouble free. Good luck- J Deryke