[DeTomaso]   Bleeders on the heads...  need advice before I cry

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Nov 4 16:01:57 EST 2009

Agree completely with Michael F- a few flakes of iron inside the heads will
not cause any trouble. I'm into this post late as we just returned from 2
wks in Hawaii's big island- where we visited with BOTH the Pantera owners
that live there!
On the bleeders- I wrote an article in the April '03 POCA News on sawing up
a junk Cleveland head to see what was in there. The article shows what
you're dealing with inside the castings and gives dimensions for drilling both
heads- which are quite different both inside and out. For those with Aussie
heads, the castibgs are much thicker than U.S heads but behave about the
same. I also mentioned that Larry Stock was successfully running radiator
bleeders on his do-everything Pantera's Aussie cylinder heads.
For those who want to add more parts that do the same thing as radiator
bleeders, brake bleeders will work but you need to add TWO parts to each head-
a bleeder needle AND a seat; adding the needle alone will act as a fancy
hose bib that never shuts off unless you are good enough with a 1/4" drill to
cut an integral seat in the head while drilling. Pegasus Racing and others
sell a repair brake bleeder that includes a separate needle & seat which will
work. Finally, I heard of one guy that added AN hose connections that
fastened to more AN fittings brazed to the surge tank- the idea being to
continuously sweep trapped bubbles from the back end of the heads. This also would
work as long as the hoses were relatively small so the normal cooling pattern
isn't disrupted. FWIW- J Deryke