[DeTomaso] Dyno Testing Update - This time with data points

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 15:42:16 EST 2009

One of the Pantera guys, Orville Burg, came up from Texas to drop an engine off
for Dave and helped us with another day of dyno testing the unported iron 4V
closed chamber heads.  Our starting configuration was where we left off last
time: Edelbrock Torker intake with Pantera GTS headers and Magnaflow mufflers.
The engine was allowed to warm and then we made a baseline pull to use for
atmospheric condition corrections.  Corrected numbers were close to our
previous pull, so we began our testing.   Note that all of the numbers below
are 4 to 5% conservative compared to the calibrated EMC dynos.  In previous
posts where I was quoting peak numbers only, I posted both the raw data
(corrected for atmospheric data) and also the data adjusted for the 5%
conservatism.

Baseline 10/17/09
Running 35 degrees timing with Pantera GTS headers and Magnaflow mufflers.
Torker intake, HVH spacer and 950HP.   Cool clear weather today with very
high barometer and moderate humidity.

RPM     Hp      Torque
       (HP)   (ft-lb)
4100   283.7    361.3
4200   288.9    361.4
4300   297.4    363.3
4400   306.2    365.7
4500   315.6    368.4
4600   325.3    371.4
4700   335.4    374.5
4800   346.6    378.4
4900   351.9    377.8
5000   355.5    373.4
5100   360      370.9
5200   363.4    367
5300   368.8    365.5
5400   374.2    364
5500   378.9    361.9
5600   379.7    355.8
5700   381.7    351.9
5800   378.7    342.8
5900   373.4    332.8
6000   370.4    324.1
6100   373.2    320.5

Factory 4V Iron Intake
Holley 950HP dyno carb, Pantera GTS headers and Magnaflow mufflers.
Same as baseline except for running factory 4V iron square bore intake manifold
and 4 hole 1 inch spacer.  The OEM intake required a spacer for throttle
clearance so was tested only with 1" spacers.  Not a really good pull but
engine had time to cool.  Going to try one more time but seems to be down
about 30HP from our baseline with the single plane Torker.

RPM     Hp      Torque
       (HP)   (ft-lb)
4000   273.9    356.1
4100   279.8    361.1
4200   276.3    345.9
4300   279.2    341
4400   285.6    340.8
4500   294.2    343.3
4600   304.5    347.6
4700   316.1    352.8
4800   326.1    356.3
4900   324.6    346.4
5000   328      344.6
5100   332.6    342.7
5200   335.5    339
5300   340.9    337.7
5400   351.1    340.8
5500   353.9    338.5
5600   349.2    327.7
5700   346.8    319.6
5800   349.8    316.4
5900   353.9    316.1

Factory Iron Test 2 - Same as 1st
Same as previous run.  Engine seems to be somewhat rougher and more difficult
to load properly.  12.5 AFR.  Going to try an HVH spacer on next pull to see
if it smooths it out somewhat.

RPM     Hp      Torque
       (HP)   (ft-lb)
4000   283.8    369.6
4100   282.7    361.8
4200   279.5    349.8
4300   283.5    346.3
4400   289.4    345.5
4700   313.8    350.4
4800   323.5    353.7
4900   334.7    358.1
5000   342.3    360.1
5100   344.5    354.9
5200   347.2    350.6
5300   350.7    347.5
5400   349.1    339.7
5500   348.3    332.4
5600   345.9    324.6
5700   351.2    324.5
5800   332      301

Factory Iron with HVH Spacer
OEM square bore intake, Pantera GTS headers and Magnaflow mufflers.
Much better with the semi open spacer under carburetor.  Most likely due to the
amount of camshaft overlap and the interaction it has with the dual plane type
intake.  It will be very interesting to see if this trend continues with the
other larger dual planes.

RPM     Hp      Torque
       (HP)   (ft-lb)
4000   278.9    362.6
4100   285      365.7
4200   288.2    360.5
4300   296.6    362.2
4400   304.1    362.9
4500   310.9    363
4600   318.7    364.1
4700   326.1    364.5
4800   335.4    366.4
4900   341.9    366.8
5000   345.4    363
5100   350.5    360.7
5200   355.8    359.4
5300   360.4    356.9
5400   362.3    352.6
5500   362.7    346.3
5600   364.9    341.8
5700   362.7    334.8
5800   356.9    323.3
5900   358.3    318.8
6000   363.1    317.9
6100   355.4    305.9

Performer with 4 Hole 1 Inch Spacer
950 HP dyno carb, Pantera GTS headers and Magnaflow mufflers.
Note:  Intake is actually the earlier F-351 4V version but appears identical to
the current Performer.  The Perfomrer required a spacer for throttle clearance
so was tested only with 1" spacers.  Baseline for Edelbrock Performer intake
with 4 hole 1 inch spacer which was needed to allow clearance for fuel log.
Good solid pull and for whatever reason the engine didn't seem to mind the 1
inch 4 hole on this dual plane.  Going to try the HVH spacer next.

RPM     Hp      Torque
       (HP)   (ft-lb)
4100   285.7    365.8
4200   288.8    361.5
4300   298      363.8
4400   304.5    363.6
4500   309.1    361.1
4600   315.7    360.5
4700   325      362.8
4800   333.3    365.2
4900   337.7    361.9
5000   341.1    358
5100   344.8    355.2
5200   350.3    353.5
5300   352      349.4
5400   354.9    345.2
5500   359.5    343.1
5600   363.1    340.1
5700   363.2    335.3
5800   356.8    323.1
5900   354.2    314.9
6000   345.7    302.8
6100   352.9    303.2

Performer with HVH Spacer
950 HP dyno carb, Pantera GTS headers and Magnaflow mufflers.
HVH was also better on the Edelbrock Performer but not as drastic as with the
factory iron piece.  Performner is better than factory intake or so it seems
on this engine.

RPM     Hp      Torque
       (HP)   (ft-lb)
4100   293.4    373
4200   295.9    371.5
4300   307.1    376
4400   309.1    369.3
4500   314.9    367.7
4600   323      368.9
4700   332.7    371.6
4800   343.9    375.9
4900   353.6    378.6
5000   353.4    371.5
5100   357.4    368
5200   360.2    364.2
5300   359.7    356.7
5400   362.5    352.5
5500   366.8    350
5600   369.8    346.5
5700   371.8    342.4
5800   371.5    336.5
5900   372.5    331.6
6000   364.2    318.9
6100   365.9    315.3

Performer RPM Air Gap 2V
950 HP dyno carb, Pantera GTS headers and Magnaflow mufflers.
Baseline for Performer RPM airgap intake.  Like many of the intakes designed
for 2V heads, the RPM Air Gap will fit either 2V or 4V heads.  Running with
no spacer.  Going to try the 4 hole 1 inch and HVH spacers next.  Good solid
pull with good numbers.

RPM     Hp      Torque
       (HP)   (ft-lb)
4000   297.5    386.4
4100   297      382.7
4200   305.4    380.9
4300   313.4    383.5
4400   319.8    381.8
4500   328.4    383
4600   334      381.6
4700   338.9    378.7
4800   345.4    377.8
4900   352.4    377.7
5000   358.3    376.3
5100   363.6    374.4
5200   368.3    371.8
5300   371.7    368.8
5400   374.2    363.9
5500   379.1    361.9
5600   377.8    354.4
5700   375.8    346.3
5800   373.9    338.7
5900   374.5    333.4
6000   377.7    330.4
6100   375.5    323.2

Performer RPM Air Gap with HVH
950 HP dyno carb, Pantera GTS headers and Magnaflow mufflers.
HVH spacer seems to run about in the middle of the bare intake or 4 hole 1
inch.  Good all around performance making over 380HP and torque.

RPM     Hp      Torque
       (HP)   (ft-lb)
4100   295.3    381.7
4200   299.8    375.3
4300   308.6    376.9
4400   321      382.8
4500   333      388.5
4600   337.3    385.3
4700   343      383.1
4800   349.8    382.7
4900   355.8    381.3
5000   359.2    377.6
5100   363.1    373.9
5200   370      373.4
5300   374.2    371.3
5400   376.5    366.1
5500   381      363.3
5600   380.1    357.1
5700   372.2    343
5800   370.2    335.1
5900   367.6    327.3
6000   365.8    320.2
6100   368.5    317

Performer RPM Air Gap with 4 hole 1 Inch
950 HP dyno carb, Pantera GTS headers and Magnaflow mufflers.
Good pull and engine picked up about 5 horsepower and about 10lbs/ft with 4
hole.  A good swap and about the best all around combo for these heads etc.

RPM     Hp      Torque
       (HP)   (ft-lb)
4000   298      389.8
4100   301.5    387.1
4200   308.9    385.4
4300   316.9    388
4400   329.8    391.1
4500   332.6    388.7
4600   337.2    385.1
4700   345.5    385.8
4800   353.6    387
4900   357.2    383
5000   362.2    380.3
5100   369.4    380.1
5200   375.3    379.1
5300   376.5    373.2
5400   379.6    369.2
5500   382.5    365.1
5600   384.1    360.3
5700   381.7    351.8
5800   382.6    346.4
5900   382      340.2
6000   383.9    335.7

Holley Strip Dominator with HVH Run 10
950 HP dyno carb, Pantera GTS headers and Magnaflow mufflers.
For the 10th pull of the day we switched back to the Holley Strip Dominator
and HVH spacer which was the best combination tested on the unported iron
heads previously.  We found it to be virtually identical to our previous
numbers making about 390 HP with the Pantera headers.

RPM     Hp      Torque
       (HP)   (ft-lb)
4000   265.4    345.6
4100   278      352.7
4200   280.8    351.7
4300   286.8    350.6
4400   294.2    351.4
4500   304      354.9
4600   315.9    360.5
4700   328.9    367.1
4800   339.9    371.5
4900   346.2    371.3
5000   355      371.8
5100   360.2    371
5200   364.2    368.1
5300   371.3    368
5400   377.8    367.5
5500   383.9    366.6
5600   388.2    364.1
5700   388.6    357.8
5800   386.6    349.9
5900   379.5    338.3
6000   376.6    329.7
6100   380      327
6200   385.1    327.2

The Strip Dominator made more peak HP than the Edelbrock RPM Air Gap but
the Air Gap was close (within 5 HP) and made much better torque for most of
the RPM range.  For instance, at 4000 RPM, the RPM Air Gap made 44 ft-lbs
more torque than the Strip Dominator.   The cam used in this test is pretty
much tailor made for the RPM Air Gap.  On a larger displacement engine like
a 408C stroker of a higher RPM and the Strip Dominator would likely be the
better choice.  It will be interesting to see how the RPM Air Gap compares
to the Blue Thunder 4V dual plane (in both ported and unported form).  It
might also be worthwhile to test one of the 2V single plane intakes on the
4V heads.

For this round of testing, we planned on finishing off the standard 4V intake
manifolds, keeping the more exotic 4V induction (Webers, Autolite In-Lines,
Bud Moore Ram Box) for testing on the ported iron 4V heads.  Unfortunately, we
didn't get to test all the intakes we had planned on.  The Blue Thunder high
rise 4V dual plane did not clear the large cap MSD distributor.  Dave's going
to switch to a smaller cap and run that test later.  Also, the accelerator pump
on the ThermoQuad carb was dead so we did not run the Offenhauser Dual Port
spread bore intake.  Dave's going to make a spacer so we can run the Holley
950HP carb but we'll also run a test with either the ThermoQuad or a QuadraJet.
The Ford D1ZX Dominator single plane has a bore spacing pattern that is
different from the standard Holley Dominator carb pattern and will also require
a spacer.  In addition, I forget to bring the Offenhauser Equa Flow 360 split
plenum intake.  I'll bring it next time.  The CHI 3V single plane intake would
also not fit but the reason escapes me at the moment.

We test fit both a Roush A331 and an Edelbrock D351 (both intakes designed for
Ford Motorsport C302 heads) but neither intake would slip down far enough to
seal properly on the 4V heads.  The A331 was a new-in-box intake while the
D351 had been milled.  It's not immediately apparent why they did not slip
into place.  We'll need to mock the high port heads up on a spare block to see
if the intakes require any milling.  We also need to check the Bud Moore Ram
Box for distributor clearance (and also the Webers, Autolite In-Lines and IR
EFI).

Kirk Evans had also sent along a set of Parker Funnelweb intake port stuffers
that we were going to test but the owner of the Funnelweb intake needs his
intake back so we won't get the chance to test them.

Air-fuel ratios were a bit on the rich side (11.9 to 12.3:1) range but were
fairly consistent between the intakes so we didn't try any carb fine tuning.

With the intake testing finished for the day, we moved on to some exhaust
testing.  First we tested the MPG Head Servive "Stinger" exhaust port stuffers.
These are the individually flanged brass inserts with the a tongue that sticks
into the 4V exhaust port floor, reducing the exhaust port volume.  They bolt
between the header and the head.  Feedback from some of the Mustang drag racers
suggested they might not do anything positive.  However, one of the Pantera
guys had drag race tested them on an engine similar to ours and found they made
some additional power.  Pantera headers differ from most 351C headers in that
they have several inches of straight pipe at the exhaust port exit, before
turning.  Many Mustang 351C headers turn sharply down at the port exit which
might not work with the inserts, so my expectations were the inserts would make
a minor improvement with the Pantera headers but not the Hooker
Mustang headers.
Surprisingly, the exhaust port stuffers worked on both the Pantera headers and
the Hooker long tubes to the tune of approximately 5 HP and 10 ft-lbs.

Port Plate Test
Same setup as pull number 10 with the Strip Dominator HVH intake setup and
Pantera header.  The Pantera header comes straight out from the cylinder head
whereas the Mustang Hooker header turns downward more quickly.  In this case,
the port plate/tounge seems to help in the next test we'll try it with the
Mustang headers and see if there's a difference for better or worse.

RPM     Hp      Torque
       (HP)   (ft-lb)
4000   265.4    348.9
4100   272.6    349.5
4200   283.2    354.3
4300   295.6    360.8
4400   307      366.4
4500   317.9    371
4600   327      373.5
4700   336.8    376.2
4800   348.1    380.6
4900   354.9    380.7
5000   358.1    376.3
5100   367      377.5
5200   370.4    374.5
5300   376.2    372.7
5400   385.2    374.3
5500   391.4    373.7
5600   390.9    366.8
5700   385.6    355.5
5800   386.8    350.1
5900   388.2    345.2
6000   383.3    335.9
6100   381.8    329.3

Hooker Competion Mustang long tube headers
These were also slightly better with the port plates.  Seems to be about
5 HP and about 10lbs/ft better than without with both of our test headers.
These headers or the Pantera design seem to not be terribly bad about a sharp
quick turn down when leaving the cylinder head as some headers can be on the
Big Block Ford engine.

RPM     Hp      Torque
       (HP)   (ft-lb)
4000   281.6    365.6
4100   281      361
4200   286.1    358
4300   294.7    360.1
4400   304.7    363.7
4500   316.5    369.2
4600   329.7    376.1
4700   343.1    383.1
4800   349.8    384.1
4900   355.1    381.3
5000   357.9    376.2
5100   363.2    373.9
5200   371.3    374.7
5300   382.1    378.9
5400   387.5    376.9
5500   392.3    374.3
5600   392.1    367.9
5700   387.7    357.5
5800   384.7    348.4
5900   384.8    342.4
6000   378.7    331.7
6100   384.3    330.7

I have a set of Tubular Automotive headers for swapping a 351C into a '65-'66
Mustang that would be a good test of the sharp turn down theory (they have to
turn very sharply to clear the narrow 1st generation Mustang shock towers) but
they require me to pull the engine on my '66 fastback.

We still had a little time left, so we decided to see if the Pantera 180
headers would fit the dyno.  To my surprise, they fit just fine after moving
the coil from off the top of the bellhousing.  They worked about as well as
the Pantera GTS headers without the port plates.

180 degree headers without mufflers, no port plates and no real difference in
power.  Running Strip Dominator intake with HVH spacer and 950HP.

RPM     Hp      Torque
       (HP)   (ft-lb)
4100   264.1    339.3
4200   273.7    341.7
4300   285.2    348.2
4400   300.1    357.9
4500   315.2    367.5
4600   321.1    367
4700   328.5    367.7
4800   342      373.6
4900   348.6    374.2
5000   353      371
5100   361.9    372.3
5200   369.6    374.2
5300   371.2    367.8
5400   378.5    368.3
5500   381.6    364.6
5600   384.4    360.2
5700   386.7    356.2
5800   380.2    344.5
5900   376.4    334.9
6000   374.1    327.2
6100   382.2    328.9

Running the 180's with Super Trap mufflers.  Down a little torque but
about the same HP.  Certainly not better than the more standard Pantera
header on this engine.

RPM     Hp      Torque
       (HP)   (ft-lb)
4100   249.9    320.7
4200   258.8    324.2
4300   272.4    332.8
4400   286.7    342.2
4500   302.4    352.7
4600   319.5    364.6
4700   333.9    375
4800   340.7    373.2
4900   345.9    370.9
5000   349.1    366.5
5100   355.4    365.3
5200   361.9    366.5
5300   365.2    362
5400   371.3    361
5500   381.7    363.6
5600   382.6    359.3
5700   379.8    350
5800   375.8    340.5
5900   373.1    332
6000   373.7    326.8
6100   378.3    326.6

Note the 180's used for this test have a very small collector that
is angled and would not permit testing the Magnaflow mufflers.
A better collector design might improve these headers.  We did not
test the 180's with the port stuffers as we were unsure they would
fit with them.

Given the positive results of the exhaust testing, I'm going to check the
Magnaflow catalog to see if I can find a set of single inlet, dual outlet
mufflers that will fit within the Pantera body work and still preserve the
quad tail pipe look.  If I find something suitable, we'll test it with a
couple of diameters of appropriate length intermediate pipe.

Dan Jones