[DeTomaso] NPC- GAS TANK SEALER TRAIL BIKE

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Nov 4 15:37:26 EST 2009

I used phosphoric acid, a weak acid thats safer to handle than most others.
Its sometimes sold as concrete etch but check the label- some etches are
hydrochloric acid which is a dangerously strong acid! I added about 1/2 full
of the acid and filled up with plain water, then let it sit overnight. Pour
the mix out & dispose of responsibly, rinse the h... out of the tank. The
inside will be clean flat white indicating a thin coating of iron phosphate has
been created. The tank can safely be used as-is or if it leaks (which
you'll find during the overnight soak) add some sealant but pick one thats
compatible with modern fuels. Many are not and alcohol or MTBE especially will
loosen them up and plug the little carb jets. FWIW, all my kids learned to ride
on a Z-50. They're nearly indestructible. Good luck- J Deryke