[DeTomaso] Electric oil pump?

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Wed Nov 4 03:07:56 EST 2009

With all the talk about the benefits of electrical water pumps, what
about the oil pump? I've read somewhere that new, energy efficient
engines will use electrical oil pumps to reduce engine drag.

Are there any commercially available electrical engine oil pumps that
are suitable for a low maintenance ordinary car?

I'm looking for something similar to the high pressure fuel pumps that
all cars have had for the last 30 years, which provides years of trouble
free use.

Having electrical instead of mechanical pumps would allow running them
at optimal working conditions. No oil pump relief valve, just reduce the
pump RPM if the pressure is too high, and regulate the water pump to
obtain desired engine temp, no need for a thermostat, other than
possibly for warm-up circulation.

Now that I have a roller everything valve train, and potentially usable
electrical water pumps, it would be nice to have just the alternator,
A/C compressor and valve train as power robbers, and being able to run
the pumps independent of the engine gives advantages like pre-lube, easy
bleeding, after cooling. Removing the water pump also allows a flat bulk
head cover.

Maybe I should look into a return-less fuel feed also. No need to run
the fuel at full RPM while cruising at low load...

Thomas