[DeTomaso]   The Beast goes down at Willow Springs

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Nov 4 01:35:06 EST 2009

All,

Something else worth mentioning...

One 'flaw' of the quality forged axles that Dennis Quella/Bobby Byars/Larry
Stock sell, is that they are just a smidge too short.   This is due to the
fact that the forge that they use isn't quite large enough, so the
compromise is made on the axle flange end.   (Or so I was told, although that doesn't
seem to make much sense to me, since I think they make forged axles for
solid-axle cars which are three feet long????)

The stock axles have a small lip in the center, onto which the wheels
index.   The wheel is centered on the axle with the lip, and is retained by the
lug nuts.   It is NOT centered by the lug nuts.   It's almost impossible to
truly center a wheel solely by the lug nuts.

With these aftermarket forged axles, this lip is almost entirely
eliminated.   To deal with this problem, the axles are machined with three small
threaded holes in the end, in the center.   This is so an aluminum axle flange
extension can be screwed to the end of the axles.   It's sole function is to
provide a surface for the wheel to index upon.   Surprisingly, most of the
Pantera vendors have NO idea that this problem exists or that there is a
ready-made solution for it.   I got mine from Dennis Quella--who has this sort of
understanding.

The takeaway from this is that:

1)   If you're running these forged axles, you should have the aluminum
axle flange extensions so your wheels will center properly and be properly
supported, and

2)   If you're running aftermarket wheels (regardless of axle type) whose
hole is overly large, you should be running hub centric rings to make up the
difference.

I can't remember what the OD of the hub on the car is.   Somebody can
measure a stock axle and let us know?   Then you compare the ID of the hole in
the center of your wheels, and if it's not a tight fit, you need a set of
these:

http://tinyurl.com/ylhfu9n

http://tinyurl.com/yjjnejl

FWIW I had a small but noticeable vibration on my green VW Scirocco that
bugged me for years.   I had the wheels balanced several times, to no avail.
It is equipped with 15-inch Enkei mesh wheels.

One day I realized that the hole in the center of the wheels is noticeably
larger than stock, and the wheel wasn't indexing on the hubs.   I went to my
local tire shop and got a set of these rings, installed them on the hubs (I
used silicone to glue them in place, and then coated them with oil to keep
them from sticking to the inside of the wheels), then installed the wheels
and went for a drive.

It *transformed* the car.   I was truly shocked at what a difference these
stupid little things made.