[DeTomaso] The Beast goes down at Willow Springs

Daniel F Courtney dfcex at pacbell.net
Tue Nov 3 22:45:46 EST 2009

Just when it felt like The Beast was really dialed in, engine, clutch, brakes, oilling, cooling and new slicks, on just the second lap at Willow Springs, the axle snaps off.
I'm braking and turning into turn 5 at about 80 MPH when I feel a clunk and the left rear corner drops. I immediatly realized I had lost the wheel (sheared wheelstuds I assumed) so I aimed for the edge of the track and tried to keep it straight and get stopped. Kill the fuel and electricity and pull the safety pin from the fire system.
It was skidding like a bodsled and then finally stopped.
I had to strapped into the car while they cleared the track, and when the safety truck arrived I got a look at a totally sheared axle (I never realized they were hollow). The quarter panel was bent up where my 15" slick exited (with rotor, caliper and brake line attached).
My adjustable sway bar took most of the punishment underneath, being the lowest point on that corner. Fortunatly it saved my upright the grind.
No tow truck was present and the safety team was gung ho to drag The Beast off the track into the rocks but luckliy Jim Saxton drove out and arranged for some great volunteers to pull it onto their trailer.
This same thing happened to Chris Qualls last year, and Jim Saxton twice (with the same 15" wide wheels). What's worriesome is the second time for Jim it was the upgraded forged axle.
Although it was obviously a total bummer having this much damage, as well as getting only 1 1/2 laps and a DNS for the exhibition event, I realized I was lucky.
I was moving relativley slowly due to a yellow on my first lap and then getting stuck behind a little Miata.
If this had busted on one of my laps the prior sunday, during the Cobra Club event at Willow, it could have been much, much worse. By late afternoon I was into my groove and was really flying.
Now I've got to determine how to repair the car to make sure this can never happen again.
Since the forged axles didn't hold for Saxton, I don't see that as a satisfactory fix.
Part of the issue is these 15" slicks, with about 8" outside the hub, contributing allot of stress.
I'm not sure if extended A-arms would help, or if the billit axles are supposed to be adequate.
I really don't want to sacrifice on these wide slicks, as they really help hold the road, especially on the long sweepers, like turn 2.
The bigger picture is, now that this car is so fast around a track, is the 40 year old chassis up to the challenge?
I'm worried about the other weak links.
A couple of the former Pantera oweners at the track were trying to convince me I should throw in the towel on trying to make the Pantera a reliable, and safe, track car and perhaps move on to a used racer.
I have no idea yet of the cost for this repair, and what else should be done to the chassis (for The Winged Warrior, Dennis Quella gusseted and re-welded the frame and chassis connections).
The Beast already has a full roll cage, extended to the front and rear shock towers, plus the sub-frame kits, but these g-forces are adding allot of stress.
At what point do you have a stong enough foundation where you don't have to worry about wheels coming off?

Dan