[DeTomaso] Suitability of Distilled Water in Cooling System [WAS: need advice before I cry]

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Nov 3 13:35:13 EST 2009

In a message dated 11/2/09 7:54:38 PM, garth_rodericks at yahoo.com writes:

>From the 'No-rosion' info page:
> ...The problem is that when water is distilled, or “stripped” of
> impurities, the resulting solution is composed of chemically imbalanced “ions.”
> This leaves distilled water “electrochemically
> hungry,” so it will actually strip electrons from the metals in a cooling
> system as it attempts to chemically re-balance itself. As it chemically
> removes electrons from the cooling system metals, it does damage that will
> eventually lead to leaks.....

Translating this, it means that distilled water is acidic- about the same
as Coca Cola in terms of metal dissolving power. So 'DI' water doesn't stay
pure more than a few minutes after entering your likely already-limed-up
cooling system and beginning its dissolving act. FWIW, I never use DI water for
anything except the battery. Good luck- J Deryke