[DeTomaso] need advice before I cry

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Mon Nov 2 20:43:36 EST 2009

Justin

Here's a thought.  I had a similar experience last summer when prepping for
Reno.  I had just finished burping the cooling system after rehanging the
water pump, and was running the car on it's second "burp".  The temp gage
suddenly pegged, and when I shut the car down, and as I was walking around
the back, saw bubbling and heard hissing from the back of the right cylinder
head to block mate.  CRAP!!  Motor is about two years old, stroker
Cleveland.  After much email butt kicking to stop crying in my beer and take
a look, I pulled the rocker cover, pulled the rockers and checked torque on
the head bolts.  All was well.  Hmmm.  I put everything back together,
burped the system again, topped it off and started it up.  No more
hissing/bubbling.  Drove to Reno and been fine ever since.

I think what happened in my cast is that, according to my builder, there is
a water jacket as the back of the block just under the end of the head, and
when I ran the engine, an air pocket was trapped there, superheated the air
and tried to force what moisture was there out anywhere it could.  It hasn't
been an issue since.

Good luck.

Mike Thomas
Panteras Northwest