[DeTomaso] Some tech analysis of Classic LeMans 08

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sat May 30 05:18:04 EDT 2009

Thomas has already more or less answered, but it was the easiest and
cheapest repair I've ever done on the car!

You remove play by removing shims. I've added a photo of the shims and where
they go, which will be stripped by the list software for the rest...

Remove all shims. Now the steering rack is completely bound. Install three.
Some slop. Remove one more. Too tight. Install a thin one. The shims all
have different thicknesses, and its trial and error to find the correct
combination that tightens it up without binding it.

If you wiggle the steering wheel while someone tightens up the cover, you
can feel when the resistance begins and it gives you a good idea of if the
shimming will be correct or not.

Charles McCall
1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375
"Raising Pantera Awareness Across Europe"