[DeTomaso] WARNING: .050 may be the wrong kind of Bomb

Dan Courtney dfcex at pacbell.net
Sat May 30 14:16:08 EDT 2009

Thank you Paul, that is great advice.
I cc'd the list so everyone can benefit from those detailed instrucions.
This is a new intake, an Edelbrock AirGap for the 2bbl heads, and I'm not
sure if it has a cross-over.
An intake manifold leak is listed as one of the causes of broken spark
plugs. I'll take a hard look for this next.
On my earlier post I mis-stated the other two pistons I have checked so far
(#6 with a broken spark plug & #7, one of the six with still new looking
plugs) are not "milk-chocolate" color, but rather a nice tan (as in a well
poured Guiness black & tan). Even the top half of #5 (with shiny, tiny dots)
is a nice tan.
I also reviewed the instructions for a compression test.
It's suggested to test while the engine is hot, and the metal expanded.
I tested while stone cold.
It also says to pull all eight plugs, to let it spin better, then do the
test. I've been pulling, testing, then replacing one plug at a time, due to
a prior funky test (years ago) where the compression was escaping to the
adjacent cylinder due to a blown head gasket.
If I'm lucky this may have contributed to the "spotty" read on #5 and the
low (150 psi) yet consistent readings on the other 7. Again, #5 showed 150
psi the first night, then nada the second night, until receiving a little
oil.
Back to it now, and then to the shop for a leak-down and second opinion on
the borescope view.
Reno or (big) bust,
Dan

Dan F. Courtney