[DeTomaso] Front oil seal replacement

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat May 30 01:45:15 EDT 2009

Quoting Matt <matt at nwpantera.com>:

> It's not coming out easily! Does he mean to hammer a screwdriver between
> the seal and the cover, pry and destroy the thing since I'm putting a new
> one in anyway?   I don't want to scratch the crankshaft resulting in another
> leak down the road.

The rubber crank seal is inside a steel can, with the lip being the part
you work with. Unless you are very energetic, tapping a flat-blade screwdrive
between the steel front cover and the steel lip of the seal will get nowhere
near the crankshaft nose. Once the screwdrive bit is under the lip 3/16"or
so, you can lever out the seal. You may have to repeat the
screwdriver-insertion at various points around the periphery a few times. And really, you
will not harm the seal although you might bend the wide lip a little. They're
hammered in with a sealant on their backside to ensure no leaks, and
sometimes the sealant really grips! Good luck- J Deryke