[DeTomaso] ignition problem

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Fri May 29 22:50:09 EDT 2009

I had another coil, a big old funky orange rectangular kind of cube shaped
coil that the piece of shit mechanic who told me I first had a bad MSD 6al ,
the a bad coil, then a bad distributor. As I have said on previous posts the
only thing bad was the mechanic. Anyway I put back the first coil that came
with the car last year. The positive and negative terminals are around 3
inches apart and they are both separated from the spark wire by a good inch
and 1/4 and a small raised barrier. I put it in and she started right up.
The piece of shit Blaster coil said it all when I turned it upside down "
MADE IN CHINA". When I pulled my plugs today they were completely covered
with carbon soot. I had enough soot on the plugs to do an Al
Jolson imitation I felt like singing Mami and calling the tow truck!. So It
looks like I am running way to rich at the very least. They were autolite
#26 and they were gapped at .0035. I put in the motorcraft plugs I bought
last week and started them gapped at around .0046 I am using one of those
.50 cent piece type gauges and I don't like it as much as the wire type
gauge . It seems very imprecise. Any way after working for two hours in the
dark and with it starting to drizzel after the first hour, I was glad to
finally get it started and back in the garage. All this happened around 200
yards from my front door. Luckily I have a spare MSD , three coils, and an
inverter to power my drop light that  I plugged into my other vehicle's
cigarette lighter  so I could see what the hell I was doing. ( even if I
didn't know what I was doing at least I could see it!)Boyd
Speaking of Al Jolson and Mami , by the time this car stops breaking down I
will have walked a million miles ( that's in the song)