[DeTomaso] Front oil seal replacement

Matt matt at nwpantera.com
Fri May 29 16:40:57 EDT 2009

Hi gang,
Pulled my balancer this morning to replace the front seal.
Jack said "Once the balancer is off, use a screwdriver beteween the seal's flange and the front cover to pop it out. Tap the new seal in place with a small hammer, add grease to the inside lips of the seal, and replace the balancer & the vee belts. Good luck- J Deryke"

It's not coming out easily! Does he mean to hammer a screwdriver between the seal and the cover ,pry and destroy the thing since I'm putting a new one in anyway?
I don't want to scratch the crankshaft resulting in another leak down the road.
I suppose there's a "speacial" tool I need to buy :((
Anybody have any ideas?

Thank you,
Matt
3584