[DeTomaso] Cooling system hose questions

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu May 28 21:35:22 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/28/09 1:18:42 PM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> The other apparently uses a short elbow to connect the undercar pipe to a
> much longer intermediate pipe that goes to the bottom of the swirl tank (I
> don't have this one).
>
> I also don't have the two pieces going from the radiator to
> the corresponding intermediate pipes at the front of the car.  Both of those are elbow
> style hoses as well.

I personally do not use molded elbow-hoses on Panteras. They cannot be had
in Gates Green-stripe hose, so that introduces a weak spot, to my way of
thinking. Instead, I use non-corroding 1-1/4" copper sweat-solder elbows with
straight pieces of Gates Green stripe. There are two such copper elbows on my
radiator connections and two more at the base of the firewall where the
water tubes terminate. These metal elbows are slightly larger on the O.D than
std 1-3/8" hose diameters, but dipping the hose ends in hot water allows them
to be slipped on the oversized fittings with little trouble. The slight
oversize seems to hold the hoses nice 'n tight without the trouble of adding a
bead to the fittings. Our car's been like this for almost 10 years now,
without even tightening up the clamps. FWIW- J Deryke