[DeTomaso] WARNING: .050 may be the wrong kind of Bomb

Dan Courtney dfcex at pacbell.net
Thu May 28 07:10:11 EDT 2009

I haven't picked up a borescope yet but I ran a compression test tonight and
all 8 cylinders were consistent around 150 psi. Haven't done a leak-down
test yet.
There were no rings on these AP 25 plugs and I noticed #8 is gapped at .045,
pretty sure it was put in at .050. The other plugs are at .050.
Could impact from the domed piston to the plug tip crack the electrode
without breaking the tip? Although #5 is missing 1/2 the tip, #6 has an
intact tip but not much electrode. The other 6 plugs all look brand new.
I may convert to AP 32's, to lessen any potential detonation, and hopefully
they come with rings.
I may check the intake gasket, to see if it shows sign of an intake leak.
The intake bolts at the end by #5 & #6 are studs with nuts (to hold the
throttle linkage I fabbed for the AirGap) and may have loosened.
Otherwise I can't think what could be potentially causing detonation.
I'm assuming the backfire I'm getting about 6 seconds after any significant
deceleration is being caused by the collector donuts, as those locknuts keep
getting loose, but maybe from an intake leak?
The secondary butterflies do not appear to be opening, but it seems like
that would lead to a rich condition, rather than lean for detonation.
I'll try and find a borescope tommorrow, to see if anything is damaged.
If it looks good I'll try for a dyno tune appointment.

Dan

Dan F. Courtney

La Jolla, CA

(858) 551-5455 Phone