[DeTomaso] Some tech analysis of Classic LeMans 08

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu May 28 13:41:10 EDT 2009

Lots of confusion re camber or tilt-back of the front spindle towards the
cabin. My red owners manual (pg 69, published in July '73) says the
recommended range is zero degrees plus 8 minutes, which is far too little, even at
arond town speeds with stock 7 x 15" front wheels & 185-70 tires. The Tech
Service Bulletins (Bull 5, art. 33, published in March '73), recommend 2-3/4
degrees, which I found to be very close to the maximum possible with all-stock
early suspensions- and still too little for high speed stability. By using
offset bushings in the upper a-arms only, I got 3.5 degrees. Milling one
edge of the upper balljoint carrier the max possible (about 0.050") gave almost
another degree for about 4-1/2 degrees total. This is where our street car
is today. If offset bushings are used in both the upper and lower a-arms
-pointing in opposite directions- you can get nearly 5 degrees without milling
the carriers. More caster = more self-alignment and stability on the road,
but also more steering effort. But Judy has no problem driving our Pantera
around town.
All this messing around is not required with Pat Michael's custom a-arms,
which uses simple shim-packs to produce up to 7 degrees   of camber. FWIW,
'70s Corvettes used as much as 7 degrees, but they also run power steering.
Not sure what settings M Hals used for his racer with 10" wide front wheels.
FWIW- J Deryke