[DeTomaso] Some tech analysis of Classic LeMans 08

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Thu May 28 03:19:30 EDT 2009

JDeRyke at aol.com skrev:

> Second, Patrick had some handling issues, which were resolved by installing
> a set of Pat Michaels' front A-arms, and immediately dropped 20 seconds per
> lap! With 7-minute lap times, this is enormous! Pat Michael's custom a-arms
> build in a much larger amount of caster than is possible with stock parts.
> I have been harping for years on the addition of at least SOME extra caster
> in your street Panteras, especially if you run very wide front wheels and
> tires. You don't need to run 190 mph on twisty roads to feel the benefits!

Over the winter I installed Pantera Easts offset PU A-arm bushings,
which gives some more caster.

I've heard a lot of good things about these, but I can't say I notice
any significant improvement. It is still a white knuckle ride, even
after checking the wheel alignment.

I now have about 3° (3°03' left, 3°13' right) of caster. Unfortunately
the machine they used when I had it checked in 2000 was not
sophisticated enough to be able to check caster with the alignment
equipment hooked up on the front wheels.

Checking the owners manual I see the nominal caster is 3°30' - 4°, so
even with these bushings I'm unable to get it to even the nominal spec.

Offset A-arms might be a better choice.