[DeTomaso] front seal oil leak help

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed May 27 16:01:46 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/27/09 4:40:17 AM, hsv at traen.se writes:

> I guess you need to change the seal between the timing cover and the
> crank.   You must remove the balancer for that. I'm not sure if you can remove
> the old seal without removing the timing cover (and waterpump).

You can change the front seal with everything in place except the harmonic
balancer, which goes thru the seal. Once the balancer is off, use a
screwdriver beteween the seal's flange and the front cover to pop it out. Tap the
new seal in place with a small hammer, add grease to the inside lips of the
seal, and replace the balancer & the vee belts. Good luck- J Deryke