[DeTomaso] How do you keep fuses clean?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed May 27 15:57:45 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/27/09 3:55:09 AM, charlesmccall at gmail.com writes:

> Is there some kind of product you can spray on to keep them clean? Should
> I just scuff them with sandpaper once a year? Replace them all? Anyone
> else have this problem? Any thoughts?

EVERY car running those fuses has the same problem- Porsches, BMWS, most
Brit-cars as well as Panteras. Normally, you scuff the fuse ends on your
pants- too much abrasion like with sandpaper bends the aluminum strips- or worse-
tears them at one end, wrecking the fuse.
The fix is to change fuse types: eons ago, I found that Busse Fuses in the
U.S made 'GBC' fuses of glass with internal conductors and plated, pointy
ends to fit our type of fuse holders so they're a drop-in. Since that time,
I've had no fuse problems at all. But now, the u-shaped fuses are all the rage
which require a complete fusebox change. Personally, I'd look at a local
store for GBC-type fuses in glass and save the $150 conversion costs. My 2¢- J
Deryke