[DeTomaso] Wheel sizes/tires, how much rubber for a 17 x 9 inch wheel

clay willmott claywillmott at hotmail.com
Tue May 26 21:54:43 EDT 2009

Anyone know how wide of a tire you can put on a 17 by 9 inch wheel safely and have it wear properly etc ?

I have 275/40/17 tires on  17 by 9 wheels.  I need 315/35/17 or so for the rears so I assume it would need a 17 x 10.5 inch wheel?

Bought a playmate for the Pantera (2004 Cobra) and the 500 RWHP need a wider tire IMHO.

Also, I just put Kumho 335/35/17 on the rear of the Pantera and they look great, not too noisy and seem to grip well and best of all only 200$ a piece from tire rack.

Thanks
Clay