[DeTomaso] Detomaso Pantera and Shadrach Mustang standouts at Georgia Tech event

Dick Koch arkoch at earthlink.net
Mon May 25 19:48:29 EDT 2009

I was asked to provide a couple of cars for an event last weekend that
my college alma mater puts on each year for the largest donors to the
school for the past year.  The Georgia Tech President's Dinner hosts
around 900 guests to a black tie event, and this year had 16 cars on
display at the event.

I provided my Pantera
<http://home.earthlink.net/%7Earkoch/images/GTevent/GT%20Pres%20Pantera.jpg>
and one of our Shadrach Mustangs <http://www.shadrachmustang.com/> for
the event.

My Pantera and the twin turbo charged Shadrach Mustang were positioned
up front
<http://home.earthlink.net/%7Earkoch/images/GTevent/GT%20Pres%20Shadarch%20and%20Pantera.jpg>,
highlighted by overhead lighting and surrounded by the guest's dinner
tables.
<http://home.earthlink.net/%7Earkoch/images/GTevent/GT%20Pres%20Dinner.jpg>

Posters
<http://home.earthlink.net/%7Earkoch/images/GTevent/GT%20Pres%20Pan%20Poster.jpg>
were placed beside our cars that outlined the unique features and
background of each car.  The poster overviews can be seen by clicking on
Pantera Poster
<http://home.earthlink.net/%7Earkoch/Documents/74Pansummary/> and
Shadrach Poster
<http://home.earthlink.net/%7Earkoch/Documents/Shadrachsummary/>.
Credit for the introduction to the Pantera Poster writeup goes to Garth
Roderick <http://www.banzairunnerpantera.com/index.htm>, who authored
and hosts one of the best Pantera owner web sites.

My partner in the Shadrach Mustang project, Mike Langston, Hoyt and
Garry Grimes, our engine builders, and me were caught standing beside
the Shadrach Mustang
<http://home.earthlink.net/%7Earkoch/images/GTevent/GT%20Pres%20Mike%20Grimes%20Koch.jpg>
during the reception.

Hoyt Grimes, who is 86, still works with his son Garry in their high
performance engine building business.  They built my Pantera engine and
build the engines for the Shadrach Mustang.

Hoyt is one of the original drag car racers from the late 40s and is a
legend in his own time.  Many of his engine innovations are still in use
today.  He is in the NHRA Dragster Hall of fame.  Hoyt worked with the
original Georgia Tech auto club in 1950, helping them build the first GT
rail dragster.  Hoyt donated the Cadillac engine they used in the car,
as well as did the driving for them.

Both Hoyt and Garry have designed, and are now installing their new Boss
429 clone Ford Hemi engine in the latest offering in the Shadrach
Mustang corral, "The Boss" Shadrach Mustang
<http://home.earthlink.net/%7Earkoch/images/Boss%20429/429%20Boss%20car%20assembly%20052209%20006%20%28Small%29.jpg>.
The street version of the engine develops 807 hp on pump gas, and will
feel comfortable running to the corner grocery store one day, and be
competitive at the track the next.

Needless to say, the Pantera and the Shadrach Mustang were the standout
cars at the event.

Dick Koch - Atlanta