[DeTomaso] air supply question SPA[1]

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Mon May 25 15:21:28 EDT 2009

I suspect more HP than displacement because the HP is proportional to the amount of air passing through the engine, although a NOS system may alter that some.  There are standard equations for the HP, this is from the SDFI web site:

Engine airflow can be directly related to hp developed. The volumetric efficiency of an engine is always the highest at its torque peak. Above this rpm, pumping efficiency drops off. A round average for airflow vs. hp is 1.5 to 1.6 cubic feet per minute for each hp developed. If you want to work this out in mass flow, a standard cubic foot of air weighs about 0.0765 pounds on a standard 15C day. For example if we have a 4 cylinder engine developing 200hp it would be flowing around 300 SCFM or 23 lbs./min. using the 1.5 figure. In CFH and lbs./hr. we would have 18,000 and 1380 respectively.  . . .

So if you compute the CFM for the target HP, then use a standard forumla to compute pressure drop for the flow rate through the intake tract you're considering.  I think the percent HP loss would be the pressure drop divided by one atmosphere 14.7 PSI).

Ken