[DeTomaso] dash removal

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon May 25 12:23:50 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/25/09 8:16:43 AM, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> What is involved in removing the dash in a 73 L . I want to redo some of
> my wires and install new instruments and I think it would be allot easier
> with the dash off. The ford service manual doesn't really give clear
> directions. Any hints, instructions or advice?

I've had ours out 3 times. If you have access to old newsletters, the July
'99 issue had a pretty
comprehensive 4-pg illustrated article on dash removal. It comes out in
maybe 15 minutes- there are only 5 long screws and 2 short ones. Two screws are
behind the speedo and tach, one at each end of the dash and one behind the
glovebox. Two more are at the console edges. The steering shaft mount is
pulled and the wheel laid in the drivers seat. Note the tach, speedo and
glovebox all must be removed for screw access.
If you need to completely remove the dash, the rest of the switches and
emergency warning flasher must come out; remember to make a color-coded diagram
of how the 8wires connect to the e-flasher on your car before disconnecting
them; the factory diagram may not be identical to some Pantera's
wiring.....See Bulletin 9 article 106 in your TSBs for details.
It's easier to work the dash out (and back in) if the console gauge panel
is removed and folded out of the way, too. And on cars with the early
wiper/washer switches like our '72-1/2 L, they have clip-on lightbulbs for switch
illumnation, and re-clipping them in position is a real pain. Your '73 L may
not have those little lights. The wires connecting the seatbelt warning
light & console light are short and should be undone. I didn't bother to pull
the battery power cable.
Putting the dash back in is much more difficult. It's long and clumsy
although not heavy, and there are loose 1" square plastic spacers between each
dash mount screw and the welded body mounts, that fall on the floor when the
screws are pulled. I contact-cemented the spacers in position the second time
the dash came out. Good luck- J Deryke