[DeTomaso] WARNING: .050 may be the wrong kind of Bomb

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Mon May 25 10:59:41 EDT 2009

You want the plug to be hot enough to keep it clean, and not hotter.  Too
cold, and it fouls.  Too hot, and it acts like a glow plug for pre-ignition.

An article I read years ago said that Chevy experimented with plug gaps as
wide as 0.080.  It said they got better performance the wider the gap.  The
negative was the wider the gap, the shorter the plug life.  My understanding
was the wider gaps knocked larger divots in the electrode each time they
fired.  They concluded that 0.035-ish was a reasonable tradeoff between
performance and plug life.

The same article said that there was a tradeoff between good performance and
plug life with respect to the hardness of the plug - i.e. the materials used
for the electrodes.  My understanding was that it wasn't the hardness that
made the plugs work well, but rather the conductivity of the metals - i.e.
great conductors were typically softer and thus wore faster.

It said that:

1.  Ford plugs were very good conductors (great performance) while also
being very hard (great wear).  It was unusual at the time for a magazine to
rate a Ford product higher than Chevy.  The article was written when
everything was pro-Chevy.
2.  AC/Delco plugs were almost as good conductors and were also almost as
hard.
3.  Champion's had the best performance, but were very soft, and were not
recommended for street driven cars.

I don't remember what they said about Bosch.  It was before the split fire
craze.

FYI - It only takes a little bit of oil sucked into the cylinder to cause
pre-ignition.  I had removed the bolt between #7 and #8 to attach a throttle
return spring.  When I replaced the bolt, I didn't get it torqued down
enough.  I kept hearing pinging when I didn't expect it.  Naturally, I
reduced the advance, ran better gas, and so on.  Later, I pulled the intake
and noticed a trail of oil mist in the #7 intake port.  I made sure I
tightened the intake this time, and the pinging went away.  Sometime later,
I pulled the head and noticed little dings all over the #7 piston.