[DeTomaso] A3 heads

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun May 24 17:17:45 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/24/09 1:15:16 PM, pantera at fastcat.se writes:

> How rare are the A3 heads and how much are a set worth?

Lets put it this way: mine were cast in 1982-'83 for SVO/Ford, for pro
track racing- maybe by Allan Root who's out of business. No one knows how many
were made but they have the largest ports of the 9 different SVO aluminum
heads ever sold. The last time I saw a set for sale, they were $2000 bare.
Biggest problem is, being used race parts, swap-meet heads were often reworked
for some special purpose like 410 inch dirt track alcohol motors and may be
drilled for extra injectors, ported to within a millimeter of falling thru
the port walls, or came off an engine that let go at 10,000 rpms... With
aluminum, anything's fixable but ideally you'd like to not spend $500 more on
TIG-welding damage or mistakes. I think Larry Stock still has a
brand-new-in-the-box pair for sale at PPC-Reno; dunno what he's asking so be sitting down
when you call. Good luck- J Deryke