[DeTomaso] Vented versus solid brake rotors???

hemipanter at hemipanter.se hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Sun May 24 05:40:13 EDT 2009

Solid rotors do have things going for them. If you do fast motorway driving
(Germany) and notice a traffic problem ahead, you may need to pannic stop
from very high speed. I such event the disc is NOT able to dissapete all
the heat produced during braking. Then massive disc have two points.
1, they include more iron for the same size which can store more heat.
2, they are able to withstand greater clamping force-heat without deforming.
So, for most street driven cars solid dis will do, and may even do the job
better than wented discs. As long as REPEATED braking situation is not on
once hand, then the stored heat of the solid disc will not dissapear fast
enough. With wented rotors we can run lighter rotors then, and use no more
iron than needed for the biggest braking on the track. The cooling vanes
should have the capacity to cool the produced heat in between the braking
events.
Regards
Goran