[DeTomaso] Vented versus solid brake rotors???

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun May 24 03:46:40 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/23/09 11:40:45 PM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> Does anyone use solid rotors on road race cars?

Not that I ever heard of. Even carbon/carbon F-1 rotors have drilled vents.
Solid rotors work fine on the street for about 3-4 panic stops, but are
quite a bit heavier and run hotter than vented rotors. While solid rotors have
more thermal mass so they warm up slower, once they do heat up, the
temperature arrived at is about 200 F degrees hotter than vented rotors of the same
size, laying waste to normal brake pads and even wheel bearing grease &
seals. That rotor temp can be reduced even further by piping ram air to vented
rotor centers. Cooling air then flows thru the spinning rotors and out the
vents around the periphery. This doesn't work at all on solid rotors. My 2¢- J
Deryke