[DeTomaso] WARNING: .050 may be the wrong kind of Bomb

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun May 24 03:27:38 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/24/09 12:10:59 AM, dfcex at pacbell.net writes:

> What worries me more is, where are the tips of the plugs? Are they
> sitting in the cylinders, about to punch through my brand new pistons? Or has
> that already happened?
> I'm also wondering if detonation could have played a role.

Thats a sign of detonation. Check your total ignition advance and your fuel
pressures. Normally, a plug gap will either fire, or not, so thats not the
cause of your detonation. The piston crowns likely look shot-blasted but
unless they made really deep pits, the pistons will be OK. Any extra pieces of
ceramic are long gone out the tailpipe. A fiber optic borescope can look
thru the plug hole and inspect the piston tops without pulling the heads. My
best guess- J Deryke