[DeTomaso] WARNING: .050 may be the wrong kind of Bomb

Dan Courtney dfcex at pacbell.net
Sun May 24 03:10:17 EDT 2009

I've been performing my "Post Maiden Voyage Inspection" on The Winged Warrior tonight.
I pulled the plugs to see the coloration following the 300 mile drive back from Vegas, where these were installed. All looked brand new on the right bank except for #2, which was heavily fouled (as it's predecessor was in Vegas, after 600 miles.)
Then I got to the left bank and was shocked to pull #5 and see it was "cratered" with the ceramic tip receded about 1/3" below the rim of the threaded section. #6 was cratered about 1/4". #7 & #8 look like new.
I've never seen this before. I don't know if the wider gap, to .050 caused this.
These Autolite AP25's were only in for a 400 mile freeway drive, averaging 3,500 rpm's with a few blasts to 4,000 (100 mph).
What worries me more is, where are the tips of the plugs? Are they sitting in the cylinders, about to punch through my brand new pistons? Or has that already happened?
I'm also wondering if detonation could have played a role.
I'm going to fish around with a narrow magnet, to see if I get lucky.
I'm also considering inserting the threaded end of the compression tester and trying to find some sort of vacuum to attach to the other end, where it clicks into the gauge.
The car really felt great once I increased the gap to .050, but I'm possibly retracting my endorsement.

Dan

Dan
Dan F. Courtney

La Jolla, CA