[DeTomaso] Vented versus solid brake rotors???

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Sun May 24 02:40:12 EDT 2009

I've been working with a local shop on a soon to be finished upgrade including 996 Porsche calipers.  I've been in a running argument with the guy I originally talked to (Tyler Stone) about the brakes, and Tyler insists that solid steel rotors are better than vented cast iron rotors.  I think he's wrong because you have to convert kinetic energy to heat to stop a car, and the heat requires disipation which the solid rotors can not provide.  Due to cost we are not considering the carbon disks in the discussion.

I just found out that Tyler is planning to attend the Reno gig, and take orders for the solid disk setup.  Tyler took a very crude mock up of the parts to Vegas three years ago, and was pushing the solid rotors then, has had very little involvement since then, but just jumped back in.  I'd really appreciate hearing from others on this, because I assume I could be behind times.

Does anyone use solid rotors on road race cars?

Thanks,

Ken