[DeTomaso] 4V heads and roller rockers

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat May 23 16:01:25 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/23/09 6:17:21 AM, pantera at fastcat.se writes:

> I have seen an article on internet where they milled the pedestals on 4V
> heads to accept roller rocker studs, is that a must?

Yes; stock NON-Boss heads have a grooved rocker pedestal that is also
tapped for too small a thread to fit large rocker studs, and the uncut pedestal
is too tall as well. It must be cut down to make space for a pushrod guide
plate that bolts under a pair of rocker studs. Then because the pushrod
constantly rubs the hardened steel guide plate, hardened pushrods are required.
Stock pushrods will wear in two. The milling is complex because the rocker
stud must be tilted in two planes to fit the combustion chambers. Due to the
cost, its probably not practical to mill open chamber heads which will never
deliver the power of closed chamber heads.
But there are options: First, cam grinders and some speed shops sell a
piloted cutter that indexes into the pedestal's bolt hole and trims the rocker
pedestals to the proper angles. The device chucks into a hand-held 1/2" drill
so it can be done in your garage.
Second, Crane Cams (and maybe others) sell a set of special pushrod
guide-plates with replaceable kevlar grommets, that fit uncut 351-C pedestals,
guide stock unhardened pushrods and allow roller rockers to fit with no
machining at all needed, but will not last long with radical cams and heavy valve
springs 'cause the small stock bolt is used to hold the assembly, rather than
the much larger stud. Unaltered girdles probably won't fit the Crane
conversion system, either.

> Is it true that the 4V Boss heads was milled from factory to accept
> roller rockers studs and girdles?

Yes for the milling but girdles didn't exist in 1969-71. In 1972, Ford
replaced the Boss 351 with the '351-HO' engine that also used adjustable rockers
and studs, but with a smog-compliant open combustion chamber. Authentic
Boss or HO heads are pretty rare but there are many 'clones' for sale and
they're virtually identical.   In any case, a girdle bolts on with no special
machining needed. Some girdles will fit under normal cast aluminum valve covers
while others require special 'tall' covers or stacked cover gaskets. All
require the sheet metal oil splash guards inside valve covers to be removed.
Good luck- J Deryke