[DeTomaso] Fuel System

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat May 23 01:59:24 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/22/09 1:33:48 PM, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:

> I got it on the dyno and it was dying at 4000. We tee'd in a fuel press
> gauge and it nosedived at 4000.

Has this car had the fuel line from the tank to the EFI pump enlarged? The
stock out-line from the tank is too small to support much above 400 real
horsepower, and the early tank- especially the banjo fitting on top- is more
restrictive than '73-up tanks. I've seen banjos half closed by varnish. Early
tanks also sometimes still have the OEM nylon sock-filter on the tank
outlet, and those socks varnish up regularly. They are also unserviceable so must
be torn off with air pressure or a long rod thru the sender opening. Big
horsepower needs a minimum of a 7/16" ID line from tank to pump (1/2" is
better) and the stocker is about 1/2 that. JUst some suggestions- J Deryke