[DeTomaso] of Clutches, pilot bearings and cooling systems, another update on 5533

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sat May 23 01:53:01 EDT 2009

The side of this mountain is getting slick and all I can see are sharp
pointy rocks at the bottom.

Ever try to pull a needle pilot bearing out of a crankshaft?  Well I can
tell you with a brand new pilot bearing puller, it comes out easy.  We
couldn't find a tap large enough or any other method mentioned
previously, so I sucked it up, bought a new tool and it came out in
about two minutes.  <sigh>

So in went the new bearing, the new clutch disc and the new McLeod
pressure plate.  After searching for about 30 minutes, looking for
pressure plate to flywheel torque specs and -not- finding them in in any
deTomaso/Ford literature, I turned to my shop manuals for 1973 Ford,
Volume 1, turned to the clutch section and found what I was looking
for.  Okay, so now -thats- done.

Do I install the ZF or since I have better access to the swirl tank with
it out.....
Yea, pull the swirl tank.

Short story... YUCK.  I got a lot of good green fluid out, but I also
got a lot of something that looked like mud.  I procured all replacement
hoses last summer so I'm good there, but boy it's starting to look like
I better run something through all the pipes.  <sigh>

Got the bulkhead cover pulled off in preparation of doing some work
through the firewall.  Amazing enough I can get mine out without
removing any seats, which is really cool.

I didn't get near as far as I wanted to today for having taken a Friday
off.  Oh well.  I have three more days.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie