[DeTomaso] Clutch in 5533

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Fri May 22 20:07:02 EDT 2009

Dear Jack,

             I have often thought it might be a reasonable deal, in terms of
dollars and weight reductions and improved rotating mass, to simply lighten
a standard flywheel versus going aluminum.

             Dumb questions:

                      How hard is it to find a competent machine shop to
perform the work to remove, oh, say, five pounds?

                      Judging from your comments, a stock, but trimmed
flywheel of about 25 pounds would be structurally sound?

                      Any idea what the cost of such work would be?

                      Is there any downside to pursuing a lightweight stock
machined flywheel?

                                   Dumb and curious,  Chuck Engles