[DeTomaso] 4V heads valve lift.

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri May 22 16:40:00 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/22/09 12:58:46 PM, guson at home.se writes:

> The limit is when either the valve spring bottoms out coil-to-coil or the
> spring retainer hits the valve guide/stem seal. It's pretty much up to
> parts selection I'd say.

Beyond that, you can vary the clearance from valve head to piston, and
rocker ratio- the stock ratio is 1.73:1 but there are rockers available up to
1.8:1.
As an example, some full-race 351-Cs used solid roller cams and related
parts to give 0.710" lift at the valve head, using special-everything for drag
racing. Sold in a Pantera, the car had scary-fast acceleration but wouldn't
idle below 1500, ran only on 108-octane fuel and broke a lot. Recommend not
doing this with a stock iron block or iron heads as they are simply too
flexible to   live very long. This is heavy-duty pro-race stuff. My 2¢- J Deryke