[DeTomaso] Winged Warrior completes "maiden voyage" - thank's to all who helped

Dan Courtney dfcex at pacbell.net
Wed May 20 16:02:25 EDT 2009

Dennis Quella told me what Aeropquip hose (-4) to use with the long-throw slave cylinder to replace that red transparent hose and I found a shop near The Strip which made one the right length (34").
Everything fit just right.
I placed some teflon tape on the bleed valve (Jack's suggestion) and also on each threaded fitting, for the heck of it, and made sure the bleed valve was on top (Jack & SO Bill). The long throw bled once and never got bubbles again and felt fantastic!
I can't remember the car ever shifting so well.
We made it from Vegas to San Diego in no time without incident.
After getting my eyes and face blasted with brake fluid I HIGHLY recommend changing out the stock hose. It's just pressed on to the fitting, there is not even a clamp. Plus, when you are bleeding the slave and have the bleed screw on top this fitting is pointed right at your face. This is just an accident waiting to happen. The part is a 34" Aeroquip stainless / teflon hose, - 4, with female 90 and female straight ends plus a -4 union (male / male).
Thanks to everyone who helped with suggestions and tips.
I find it strange that two slave cylinders, which were working fine, can go bad from sitting. I don't know if it's better to drain the hydraulic fluid or not.
I suppose the real answer is to not let a Pantera sit.
Anyway, The Winged Warrior completed it's 1,000 mile, 3 day break-in and another Pantera re-joins the living!

Dan

PS: I REALLY like these 2 bbl heads! There is so much bottom end torque, the car just wants to leap.

Dan F. Courtney

La Jolla, CA

(858) 551-5455 Phone
(858) 551-5456 Fax