[DeTomaso] On the road in France....

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue May 19 18:40:30 EDT 2009

Hi guys,

Long day today.   We woke up at about 6:00 a.m., packed the cars and missed
our planned 7:00 a.m. departure by about 45 minutes (which is what
typically happens when you're travelling with women--sheesh!)

We then had to charge hard to make our 10:00 a.m. ferry from Dover to
Calais, but we arrived in time and settled in for a very smooth, pleasant
crossing, with a light breakfast and good views out the window.   It was
intermittant showers in England, but partly cloudy and cool-ish by the time we got to
France.

We hit the motorway and headed east.   Our first real destination was the
historic racing circuit of Reims, located just outside the city.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reims-Gueux

This circuit was run on completely unprotected (and largely straight)
public roads from 1926 until 1972.   The old grandstands, pit boxes and officials
buildings are still standing (although derelict), and an effort has been
made to restore them.

Here's a photo of our four cars in front of them:

Since Geoff Peters broke his back last week (!) he can't drive the Pantera,
so he's driving his Lamborghini instead, which was to be our car.   Gray
Gregory and I are suffering in his 550 hp Pantera GT5.   The thing is
beautiful inside (Johnny Woods made the interior in red/black leather), handles
great, has some brakes (massive wilwoods let down by incorrect master cylinder
sizes), and the engine is astounding.   Unfortunately it has two rather
crucial bugs--you can't see out the back of it due to a massive airbox atop the
high-rise intake, and the throttle pedal has a bad habit of sticking open
whenever you go above half throttle--and half-throttle in this car is *moving*!

We hope to sort out the throttle tomorrow; the pedal/linkage is fouling
something in the interior--perhaps part of the wiring harness or something.

We arrived in Strasbourg around 8:00 p.m., and had a wonderful dinner on a
wide open square at an outdoor cafe; the temperatures were mild enough to
let us wear T-shirts at 11:00 p.m.

Tomorrow it's about a five hour drive to Ellmau, Austria where we'll meet
up with most of the rest of the bunch!

I got a text message from Charlie McCall; he was in a similar outdoor
restaurant in Munich, enjoying himself greatly; his car is working great but his
turn signals have conked out for some reason?

Cheers!