[DeTomaso] Fw:  Thermoswitches

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon May 18 14:00:18 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/18/09 4:50:39 AM, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:

> So what temp thermoswitch should be used if you're running a 180*
> thermostat?

In my experience, thermostat range has very little to do with a 351C's
operating temp in a Pantera. I got the same 195F-or-so water temp with 160, 180
and 195 degree thermostats during a 1000-mile road test. It has more to do
with water flow resistence. For all Panteras, I suggest 195F thermal fan
switch(es) along with at least a 16 lb radiator cap and a 0-260F '73-up water
temp gauge, calibrated for accuracy as stockers are all notoriously
inaccurate.
This combination will not boil until you get above 260F or more. Certain
Mercedes have used a factory 20-lb cap for 15 or so years that fits the
Pantera, and prevents boiling at even higher temps. Then you need not worry (too
much) about transient higher than normal summer water temps.
Use double hose clamps on all hoses, and highest quality hoses though-
especially the two little hoses under the dash! This is especially true if
you've never installed the highly recommended manual heater cutoff valves and/or
never paid any attention to those 2 hoses that typically blow scalding water
all over your (or your passenger's) ankles at high rpms. Good luck- J
Deryke