[DeTomaso] Drag radial blow out (Follow Up), questions

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon May 18 13:40:58 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/18/09 4:36:35 AM, claywillmott at hotmail.com writes:

> I have those PIM rims that are no longer made.  What is the cheapest
> (Ugly is OK) wheel I can buy to keep for mishaps like this?I had no spare and I
> felt like a dufus stuck on the interstate and flat bedding it home.

I have always carried a spare tire up front, in spite of my penchant for
reducing weight in the car. This is known as 'Insurance'. FWIW, running 50
miles on a badly mismatched rear tire will destroy your limited-slip clutches
in the ZF differential, by forcing the halfshafts to spin at different speeds
for too long. THe tiny clutch plates are not designed for continuous
operation, only a few yards at a time. Do not ask how I know this.... So a spare
should inflate to the same diameter as the other rear tire.
Naturally, any spare should also clear any big brakes you've added, and if
it requires different lug-nuts, those should be carried in the car. Also
FWIW on-road flats, a 15, 16, 17" or 18" x 10" or wider wheel & tire, even
deflated, won't fit in either trunk. You must either carry rope to hold the
decklid more-or-less closed and thus look like a backwoods sportycar guy, or
travel alone, or only date compliant ladies that don't mind a flat tire & wheel
in their laps for the trip to the tire store. Good luck- J Deryke