[DeTomaso] Starters

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun May 17 23:51:28 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/17/09 4:07:32 PM, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> Some of them may look "cooler, but if this one works I think the $150 to
> $250.00 savings will look cooler in my wallet.!

The late '80s gear-drive starters were adapted from a Hitachi starter
designed for the Nissen 300ZX V-6, with various cast-in-the-U.S noses and
bendixes on them to match Fords, Chevs etc. Some of the more recent ones are
actually made for Fords and Chevs. But the thing is, the electric motors have
rare-earth magnets in them right out of Aerospace programs. With the extra
torque and high rotational speed this gives, they can add a gear reduction drive
in them and get much higher cranking speeds on big engines. Doesn't hurt
that they are less sensitive to radiated engine heat and weigh about half what
an OEM starter does. FWIW- J Dertyke