[DeTomaso] Battery recommendation

ralph granchelli rgranchelli at yahoo.com
Sun May 17 21:24:57 EDT 2009

I know this issue has been beat to death but........
I have been using Optimas since they came out. If your car is a daily driver they are great. If your car sits for more than a week at a time it needs to be on a battery tender or in short order the battery is toast.
So Optimas have a place in this world but that place is not in my cars any more.

I have used Optima red, blue and yellow. The affliction affects them all.

I can't count how many warranty swap outs I have had.

I test every battery monthly on my conductance tester.

Currently I have 4 Optimas nearing three year old mark. Three red and one yellow. If they are left off the charger then In a week the CCA's drop 10%, 25% in two.

Fully charged none is over 800 CCA and the yellow checks in at 750. Not bad!

So about two years ago I bought an Exide Orbital 34XCD - purple haze for the Pantera. Sitting for a month it has over 1000CCA on the Midtronics. Fully charged aboout 1050.

With the Exide Orbital, mini starter, 2/0 marine cables, hitting the start button spins it up real quick.
I now use the bel motorcycle tenders they sell at Wally World on my bikes and all my cars.They work nearly as well as any trickle charger out there for a fraction of the price.

So I am converting all my Optimas to Orbitals. Just put one in the C5 this week. Purchased on ebay. What a noticeable difference in cranking.

So my vote is for Exide Orbital, 34XCD - purple haze