[DeTomaso] Our upcoming drive to Italy...

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun May 17 18:25:55 EDT 2009

Hi guys,

Gray Gregory and I are now established at Geoff Peters' house just outside
London.   A few weeks ago, Geoff kindly bought a second car for us to drive
to the International De Tomaso meeting--a 2006 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder!

However, a few days ago Geoff broke his back (!), so there was considerable
doubt as to whether he'd be able to make the trip.   But he has
demonstrated that he can get into and out of the Lambo if the top is down, and the
seats are more comfortable, so Gray and I will probably wind up driving his
Pantera and he'll take the Lamborghini, although we may trade off from time to
time.

Geoff reports that the Lamborghini is a nice car and plenty fast, but that
his Pantera will absolutely destroy it.   It's got a 550 hp all-aluminum
stroker Windsor, and thanks to extensive use of carbon fiber, lightening holes
drilled everywhere etc. it only weighs about 2600 lbs.

Here's a photo of it taken at Brookands a few days ago:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/furlined/3523190912/

I shall do my best to keep the thing in between the guardrails!!!!

Tomorrow we replace the all-out Michelin TB5 race tires with new Yokohama
285/40 fronts and Pirelli PZero 345/35 rears, give the car a bit of a
spiff-up, and then Johnny Woods arrives in his Pantera, and his friend Lewis Evans
in a Maserati 4200.   Then Tuesday morning we cross the channel, passing
through the old Reims Grand Prix circuit:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79267312@N00/sets/72157606227438141/

before continuing on to an overnight stop in Strasbourg.   The next day
it's a gentle drive to Ellmau, Austria, where we'll link up with all the other
Eurodudes for the start of the event, and from there we head down to Modena.

Tonight we had dinner with Phil Stebbings, the founder/president of the UK
De Tomaso club.   His old smoker is a very nice 1980 Rolls Royce, and we all
went to the Royal Auto Club clubhouse (basically an automotive country
club) for a fine meal.

Phil told us that he has arranged private tours on Friday afternoon for
just a handful of us of the Pagani factory, and the Lamborghini factory, so
that should be a lot of fun too. :>)