[DeTomaso] Starter

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sun May 17 12:11:23 EDT 2009

 Boyd,

Part of the problem is simply too much heat.  This is why starter
shields are made to keep exhaust header heat away.  If you think about
it, the start gets hot, and the simple rules of thermal expansion, and
different rates for different materials, means parts of the starter are
now expanded differently causing mild binding, like in the bearings or
the armature versus the housing.  This is a common problem and seems to
get worse with age.  Although it can be experienced with a brand new
starter as well.  In this case, it usually means your timing is a tad
too advanced so when warm the engine is fighting the starter.

I ordered one of the starters we've been talking about and plan to run
it for a while to see if there is a difference.  Though I have to admit
I am not currently having any problems with the stock style.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA