[DeTomaso] Starter

Tomas Gunnarsson guson at home.se
Sun May 17 09:30:41 EDT 2009

Boyd,

I replaced my starter because I had had hot starting issues with the original starter. I removed the old starter to overhaul it and clean the collector up on a lathe. When I bench tested it it was like fireworks went off inside the bearings when I ran it. The rotor windings were shorted to the rotor core/axle. I don't know how common that problem is but my spare rotor was even worse in that respect, it wouldn't even turn over unloaded on the workbench, just load down the battery. A good stock starter would probably do the job too but the 50 dollar price of the gear starter is hard to beat.

Tomas