[DeTomaso] Air in clutch system

pantdino at aol.com pantdino at aol.com
Sun May 17 00:31:29 EDT 2009

How, exactly are you controlling the bleed screw as you are bleeding?

If you close the bleed screw while there is still pressure in the
system it cannot suck air back in.
So you have to close the screw immediately when or just before the
fluid flow stops.
Another alternative is to have your helper push the clutch in with the
bleed screw closed. You will see the slave cylinder extend and move the
clutch arm. If you now open the bleed screw you will see the rod
shorten. Close the bleed screw just before it gets to rest position.
Repeat process until new fluid comes thru.

I doubt you have a leak anywhere else, as if the leak were big enough
to let that much air in it would be big enough to puke all your clutch
fluid out in short order.

If you use ATE Super Blue fluid it makes it a lot easier to know when
you are looking at new fluid.  then next time use clear fluid and when
you don't see blue anymore you know you have replaced it.  Actually I
mix the ATE 50:50 with Valvoline or Castrol synthetic, as the blue
fluid is too blue for my tastes-- not even transparent any more.

Jim Oddie