[DeTomaso] Bulkhead reduction kits.

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sat May 16 00:39:58 EDT 2009

Hey all,

I just had to stop and mention how elated I am with Kirk Evans and his
eye for quality.  As part of installing a roll cage from Dick Drenske, I
need to replace my bulkhead cover with a two piece allowing me access
without the need to remove the roll cage.

I contacted Kirk Evans to speak with him about a two piece cover and his
bulkhead reduction kit.  I know I could hack my own cover into a two
piece but I was interested in adding the reduction kit.  I just received
the first shipment which contained the new hard cover and bracket for
relocating the A/C compressor and alternator.  Wow!

First I really  need to speak to how well Kirk packages items.  He
doesn't just throw things in a box, tape it up and put it on a truck.
He takes care to make sure what you ordered gets to you in the same
condition it left.  In this case the bracket and hardware, -and- the
cover were all secured with five bolts through a piece of fiber board,
which was then packaged for shipment.  This held all the parts and kept
them from shifting during transit.

And now, to say a few words about the bulkhead cover.  This piece is
sweet.  The shaping and welding are top notch.  The cover is coated on
the inside (engine side) to prevent rust, is smooth and just looks
great.  The outside (passenger compartment side) is well shaped, covered
in a nice black carpet material and contains a T-handle wrench for
removing the cover screws.  How nice is that?  No fumbling for the right
tool, it's secured right to the cover.  This piece would look fantastic
installed in the Pantera even without the benefit of the overall cover,
it is -that- nice and simply looks like it belongs there.

As for the reduction kit bracket, again it's a nicely welded piece and
then I believe it's cadmium plated.  It comes with all the hardware you
need.  I believe Kirk can supply a different bracket for use with either
a Ford or Chevy alternator (don't quote me on that one yet).  It -does-
require you switch from a stock A/C compressor to a rotary style, which
should be no big deal.  The added room in the passenger compartment
should really balance the look of the interior; creating a center hump
in the firewall that is smaller and more centered between the seats.

If you have the slightest desire to install a reduction kit and new
cover, I would strongly encourage you to contact Kirk for the real
deal.  I have been very impressed with all of Kirks specialty items for
the Pantera and this one is just another one to add to the "wow, that's
cool" department.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie