[DeTomaso] Fw: 72 Seat belts

Art Stephens artstephens at verizon.net
Fri May 15 16:04:05 EDT 2009

         At the risk of offending some of the vendors,  I would not give
those Hall/Precision type belts to my worst enemy.  I have a pair that I
bought in 1997 for $225 and I have never trusted them.  I think they are a
poor/unsafe design. The seat belt portion may work but I don't think the
shoulder strap will do what it is supposed to do in an accident,  it does
not lock,  it will just keep slipping and letting you move forward toward
the steering wheel.  I have been wrong before but I actually can't believe
that someone that manufacturers seatbelts would sell such a thing.  And
besides,  the retractor is in the wrong place.  It goes to the seatbelt
instead of the shoulder strap,  so that you can't easily lean forward with
the benefit of the retractor.  As far as I'm concerned,  the things suck big
time.  Talk to me in person and I won't sugar coat my description. :-))  I
think a much better alternative that I read about on this list are the belts
available from www.cruisers.com .  I bought part #SO13021 for the 73-84 FJ40
Land Cruiser.  The cost was $142 a pair including shipping.  I have them
installed on the passenger side of my new car but I haven't gotten around to
doing the driver's side yet.  I drilled a hole in the firewall and mounted
the retractor to it.  I'll have to be careful on the drivers side not to
drill thru the gas tank,  but I don't think it will be a problem.  Once
again,  I'm sorry if I step on anyone's toes,  but as you can tell,  I feel
strongly about this.

Art