[DeTomaso] 72 Seat belts

Matt matt at nwpantera.com
Wed May 13 22:55:26 EDT 2009

My stock 72 seat belts are a PITA.

Lets see now I unclip the shoulder strap from it's tidy little plastic holder located over my left shoulder.
Ok got it. And now I reach down and locate the little clip coming out of the retractor with my other hand and insert tab A into slot B.
While holding this assembly with my left hand I dig down into the deep cavity between the seat and center console to locate the buckle supported by
flimsy belt material with my right hand. Ok got it. I deftly align the clip for insertion into the buckle and...stop the show...the shoulder strap is adjusted too short.
Release right hand to adjust plastic clip on shoulder strap while the buckle falls back ito it's home wedged between the seat and console....
I'm sure you get the picture. What a pain. And then when you get it all hooked up there is no retractor mechanism for the shoulder strap so you have to stay glued to the seat and tighten the strap for it to be effective at all. Good luck reaching for the glove box or anything else for that matter.

I looked at my manual and it looks like the 1971 style uses the retractor (like mine) located in the rocker panel for both the lap belt and shoulder strap with just one buckle. This would be better and more comfotable too IMO.
I'm not sure it works that way from the picture so can anybody confirm this to be true? If so is it a simple swap? Could I use my existing retractor?
I didn't want to add another retractor to the firewall if it can be avoided to achieve what I want.
Any ideas or aftermarket suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks folks,
Matt
3584
Reno or bust!